WHAT ARE CONTACT LENSES ?
A contact lens is a thin & curved lens that is placed on the film that covers the eyes. The contact lens is usually clear, however, for the convenience of the wearers, a slight tint is added to them. They are worn mainly for correction of vision or for cosmetic enhancement.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES & DESIGNS OF CONTACT LENSES?
Contact lenses can be categorized according to their function, material, and duration.
- Corrective Contact Lenses
- Multifocal Contact Lenses
- Cosmetic Contact Lenses
- RIGID lenses
- SOFT lenses
- HYBRID lenses
HOW TO WEAR CONTACT LENSES?
- Before handling the contacts, wash your hands with soap thoroughly.
- Put the lens on your fingertip and hold it against the light
- Use your right hand to gently hold the upper & lower eyelids carefully. Don’t blink
- Look upwards while placing the contact & release the eyelids
Repeat these steps with the other lens as well.
HOW TO CLEAN CONTACT LENSES?
- Wash your hands thoroughly before handling the lenses.
- Rub the contact lenses with your fingers.
- Use the prescribed lens cleaning solution every time.
- Rinse the lenses using the cleaning solution.
Just like the lenses, cleaning the contact lenses case is equally important. Clean the case with the same cleaning solution and leave it overturned to dry.
HOW LONG CAN YOU WEAR CONTACT LENSES FOR?
Contact lenses are categorized into the following broad types:
- Daily Disposable lenses: These lenses are considered to be healthiest option as a fresh pair is worn everyday.
- Monthly Replacements: These contact lenses have a 30-day usage period. Quite simple when it comes to remembering the time to change/dispose the contacts.
- Weekly/Bi-Weekly lenses: Unlike the daily disposable lenses, these contacts need to be cleaned at night & should be disposed after 7/14 days or as & when the prescribed time is over.
- Yearly lenses: These contact lenses are worn for a year and are perfect for first-time users who don't wish to change their lenses often.
TIPS FOR CONTACT LENS WEARERS
- Before touching the contacts wash your hands thoroughly.
- Always use the prescribed solution to clean the contact lenses.
- Take off the contact lenses before applying makeup.
- Start with the same eye every time to avoid mix-up of lenses.
- Clean the lenses every time to get rid of dust/dirt particles.
- Keep a pair of prescription glasses handy in case you need a break from the contacts.
- Always consult a certified eye doctor for problems with vision or using your contact lenses.
SOME DO’S AND DON’TS ABOUT CONTACT LENSES
- Always clean & disinfect the lenses daily
- Replace the contact lens case in every three months
- Always keep the lens case free from dirt.
- Avoid reusing the contact lens solution stored in the case.
- Don't use water or soapy solution to clean your lenses.
- Avoid wearing contact lenses beyond the prescribed period.